The roots of Troop 201 can be traced back to the early days of the Boy Scouts of America. The BSA was founded in the United States in 1910. Troop 1 in Olmsted Falls was formed by Edmund Bonsey in 1915. Troop 1 could not sustain itself during World War 1 and did not re-charter after 1918.
In 1925, Dan Waugh gathered a group of adult volunteers and youth, then re-chartered the old Troop 1 as Troop 201 on October 29, 1926. The Troop was chartered to the Olmsted Grange No 1619. Records show the Troop met at the old school building on Columbia road (currently the chapel across the street from the Olmsted Community church). In 1926, The Troop had 26 scouts and 5 adults. The Troop’s first Eagle Scout was William Maynard in 1928. The Troop’s second Eagle Scout was Charles Harding in 1933. Charles was killed in action during World War 2 in the hedgerows of Normandy. Our current high school football stadium and health lodge at Beaumont Scout Reservation bear his name.
The troop continued to prosper during the inter war years. Bill Maynard, the troop’s first Eagle Scout, assumed the role of Scoutmaster from 1939 to 1942 and again from 1949 to 1951. During this time, the Olmsted Falls Kiwanis assumed chartership from the Grange. That relationship continues to this day.
During the early 1960’s, the Troop grew to 70 scouts and motored around to various campsites on the Black River in Lorain County and Montville Farms in Chardon in a 1951 GMC Bus. The Troop conducted summer camp at Camp Beaumont and Camp Clendening. It was during 1963 that the Kiwanis assisted the Troop in constructing the scout cabin down along the river just north of the Community Church. The Troop continued its strong membership through the mid 1970’s. Troop records show membership was sustained at 29 youth in 1986 and 32 youth in 1990. The Troop’s 50th Eagle Scout was William Tschanz in 1984.
During the 1990’s, the Troop was under the leadership of Dave Weeks and then Mark Duncan from 1993 to 2001. The Troop started to grow significantly due to a consistent yearly summer camp at Seven Ranges and Troop Treks to Philmont, Northern Tier and Florida Seabase. Phil Magnone became Scoutmaster in 2001, Joe LaGruth in 2004, Ken Fox assumed the role in 2009 and Seth Tomasch took over in 2013.
The Troop’s 100th Eagle Scout was Tyler Bokman in 2007 and the 150th Eagle Scout, Andrew Tomasch was recognized in 2016.
In 2014, the Friends of 201, a non-profit support group, along with the Kiwanis, Olmsted Falls schools and Troop leaders completed the construction of a troop storage building on the grounds of Falls-Lenox school. The Troop received the land and leases the building from the Olmsted Schools Board of Education. The Troop continues to support the community at large. Their handiwork can be seen at Fortier park, East River park, St Mary of the Falls, all the local schools and the Community Church.
Today, the Troop’s membership rivals the rosters they had in Scoutings’s hay-day, back in the 1960’s. As of 2016, the Troop has 65 scouts and 25 registered adult leaders. Under the stewardship of many dedicated adults and with the support of the Kiwanis, the Troop has never been stronger. It is one of the largest, most well respected Troops in the Council and remains strong after 90 years of continuous registration with the Boy Scouts of America.